And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28).
Who we are
St Peter’s is a small congregation in Lavington. We are situated on Urana Road, not far from the two major shopping centres – Lavington Square and the Coles complex of shops. Many of our members have previously been farmers around the Lavington rural area and are now retired in town.
Our worship service is held every Sunday morning at 9.30am, and the entire Sunday morning order of service is presented by a tasteful powerpoint slideshow on an overhead screen. The church is equipped with a microphone system, including a roving microphone when needed, and the church music is provided by a modern electric piano/organ. We also have a large amount of recorded backing music on hand.
After the service, we gather in the hall for a cuppa, and we love it when visitors stay and join us after the service. St Peter’s members are friendly and always ready for a chat!
February 1952 –The first Sunday school lessons began.
1953 – Church services began at the Lavington Hall.
May 1957 –St Luke's Albury purchased the building block on the corner of Urana Road and Buchhorn Street Lavington, and they donated the land to St Peter's.
April 1959 – The foundations were laid and the building started on the new church. The majority of the church was built by voluntary labour. Many of St Luke’s members helped at St Peter’s regular working bees. Not only did they give their time and building skills, but they also gave generously in financial contributions.
August 1960 –The foundation stone was laid by Pastor Bartholomaeus, with the preacher being Pastor P Renner. The organ was placed on boards laid across the floor joists for the occasion. At this time, the brickwork was only shin height!
May 1963 (Mother’s Day) –The building was completed and St Peter’s congregation had their own church at last.